We are literally counting the days now until the kick off of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and honestly I can’t wait. Here is my freshly pressed Doha hit list for October 2022 – what’s hot, new and just reviewed restaurants and offers you need to check out now. Scroll to the end for what to look forward to in coming weeks.
Tex Mex Classics are back at Paloma Doha
Paloma has something for everyone – a menu of fun and fresh Tex Mex classics, margaritas the size of your head and even a live band. After closing for two years thanks to COVID-19, it’s back just in time for the silly season. Go for the nachos and stay for the epic cheese pull of the queso fundito with mushrooms and chilis. Margaritas are excellent but I also love the eponymous Paloma with tequila and grapefuit.
Must order: The prawn fajitas – a sizzling tangle of flavors and textures.
Unlimited Friday brunch for under QR100 at Holiday Villa
Yes, it can be done. A Friday brunch for under QR100 per person including unlimited Chinese tea. D’Chopstix is a favorite of the Chinese and Malaysian community and this brunch is a nice entree into their menu. The QR99 brunch which runs from 12pm on Fridays includes freshly made teppanyaki, dumplings and maki rolls. I am a semi regular here and love the tender beef teppanyaki as well as the stir fried radish cakes. Casual and laid back, the menu is a small slip of paper where you mark off your dishes.
Must order: the soup station includes a coconut curry noodle soup – so rich and warming
Sophisticated drinks at Four Seasons Doha Library Bar
The OG of hotel bars in this city, back in the day it was standing room only on a Thursday. This beauty has been given a makeover but maintains the comfy, clubby interiors and excellent cocktail list. I loved the inclusion of zero proof cocktails to the menu (as opposed to mocktails which are there too). Cocktails include a fresh take on a negroni, infused with coffee. The food menu has also had a refresh, check out the avocado tempura fries and a fall apart tender beef short rib for more substantial fare. A note – it is smoking in here, but the outdoor Study bar opens very soon.
Must order: the gin cocktails and the perfectly poised trio of pulled beef sliders
While you are here:
There it is, your Doha October 2022: Hot, new and just-reviewed places and offers to check out, right now. With a slew of new hotels set to open around town pre FIFA, expect lots of action on the dining front. Some happenings around town and things to watch out for:
- The new Jean Georges venue at the Four Seasons Doha is taking shape. With a South American menu, a terrace to die for and a much loved Doha chef on the case, it will be epic. Watch out for my sneak peek on my Instagram soon.
- Al Maha Island is promising to deliver some big name international brands to Doha. Including zuma, Beef Bar and Carbonne. These are popups but will add another level to the dining scene here.
- Aura Group, who are behind the above brands, plan to bring a whopping 36 new venues to Doha.
- The Ned Doha is steaming along on the Corniche and due to open by the tournament.
- This one has me excited. Rixos Gulf is on the beach spot of the old Gulf hotel and has some serious F&B presence on board.
- Legendary SUSHISAMBA is opening at the impressive Waldorf Astoria Lusail along wth several other concepts.
- A Cantonese style brunch complete with dumplings? See my experience here.
- Love some hot pot? Check out my essential guide here.
- Also Time Out Doha has put together an essential reading list of Doha happy hours.